During a Colorado state convening on suicide prevention in 2012, it become clear that Colorado was in great need of more events to increase awareness, education, and support for suicide prevention. A group of attendees partnered to host the first Elevating the Conversation Conference in 2013. Those same individuals continue to serve on the 2018 Committee, marking the 5th annual Elevating the Conversation Conference.
Who We Are
Elevating the Conversation is an annual conference presented by a Colorado-based collaboration created for the purpose of sharing best practices in mental health treatment, suicide prevention, and intervention through resources, training and advocacy.
Why "Elevate the Conversation"?
- According to the Colorado Health Institute, the annual number of suicides in Colorado has increased by 79% since 2000.
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-39.
- 44,000 people die of suicide each year in the U.S.
- 1/5 of those 44,000 are Veterans
- A minimum of 150 people are exposed to every suicide death
- 25 out of those 150 will have major life disruptions after that suicide death
We elevate the conversation because we must! When you join the conversation, you help to increase awareness, learn and share best practices, and receive critical skills training in suicide risk assessment, management, and support. Your voice and your participation is necessary for progress to continue. Will you help us to #ElevatetheConvo?
8:15am-9:00am Registration and Breakfast
12:00pm-1:30pm Brain Crawl: Mental Health Technology Demonstration Stations presented by Lance Powers and the Open Labs Team
Meet the 2018 Elevating the Conversation Committee